Friday, April 14, 2017

Week 7 - Phil Kleven

Death is a human experience that every person shares. Despite differences in time, location, health, wealth, and a range of other factors, no one has escaped it. In chapter 12 of Lifesmart, Lisa Fiore touches on a range of topics related to death. Although the content can make readers a bit uneasy, the material presented is helpful in approaching such a difficult concept. 
Fiore begins the chapter by discussing the role of death. It used to be a normal part of life.  She says, “Prior to the 20th century, people were used to seeing death. It was considered a typical part of life. Before the industrial revolution transformed the way people lived in Western societies, one third of all children died within their first year and half died before their 10th birthday” (Fiore 280). I believe people from that time were used to seeing death, but from my perspective it is hard to imagine becoming used to seeing people die. 
The chapter continues by describing four types of death. On page 281, Lisa Fiore explains the following concepts:

  1. Clinical death - The individual is dead when his or her breathing and heartbeat have stopped. 
  2. Brain death - Death of the brain occurs when it fails to receive a sufficient supply of oxygen for a period of time and all electrical activity has stopped. 
  3. Biological death - Occurs when it is no longer possible to discern an electrical charge in the tissues of the heart and lungs, thus signaling the permanent end of all life functions. 
  4. Social death - The point at which an individual is treated as dead although the personal is still biologically alive. 

I was familiar with all but “social death”. It seems as if it is more of a bullying strategy rather than a “death”, although I do see how social death could relate to someone who is considered braindead. 
Grief goes hand in hand with death. Lisa Fiore defines grief as an emotional response to the loss of another person, and includes feelings of anxiety, despair, sadness, and loneliness (Fiore 284). She later mentions that grief can precede death in addition to following it. One of my first adult experiences with grief came several years ago after my uncle passed away from a short battle with cancer. Later in the chapter, Fiore says, “The acceptance of death is quite painful to many people, who often choose to deny it, and yet concern over death can occur in every stage of human development” (Fiore 287). After the funeral, I found myself to be angry, in denial, and somewhat depressed. Fiore describes these emotions as “Kübler-Ross’s stages of grief”. The stages are listed below: 

Kübler-Ross’s stages of grief:
1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance


Though my uncle passed away several years ago, I still find myself exhibiting these qualities from time to time. Perhaps the way death is treated in our society has played a role in my reactions. Death is a difficult concept to grasp, and it often causes anxiety. Every culture has offered suggestions as to what happens after we die and has shown the importance of distinct traditions and rituals. Perhaps we should not lose sight of what is important in life. As we go about our busy lives, we should consider if we are really spending our time doing something important. 

4 comments:

  1. I love how you started your blog. "Death is a human experience that every person shares. Despite differences in time, location, health, wealth, and a range of other factors, no one has escaped it" Death is a part of life whether we accept it or not. There is no way to avoid it. I agree that death is a difficult topic to talk about. Grieving is a healthy way of dealing with death. It is not easy but, it is necessary to grieve. I also agree with what you said at the end of your blog. "Perhaps we should not lose sight of what is important in life. As we go about our busy lives, we should consider if we are really spending our time doing something important." It is so easy to get caught up in our every day lives. I think we have a tendency to not think about the fact that one day we all will die. It is not something anyone wants to think about. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way as you not knowing much about social death which is a new term to me. I am familiar with all the other types of death though. I understand how you feel with the stages of grief with someone passing away. My grandpa passed away 2 years ago but sometimes a memory will come up and I will experience some of these stages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your blog and agree to " we should not lose sight of what is important in life." After my grandmother's passing, I realized that I should reach out to my mother more because we do not have a close relationship. I also realized that death can come at any time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way about social death. I was very unsure about the meaning of it and i felt like it was more a bullying technique. Thank you for sharing the story about your uncle. Death is a hard concept to deal with and can be a hard thing to overcome.

    ReplyDelete