Friday, April 7, 2017

Week 6 - Phil Kleven

Early adulthood is a time of excitement, growth, and change. For some, it is a wonderful time, and for other, it can’t end soon enough. This weeks readings were both informative and frustrating, as they brought up memories from my own life that I had hoped to forget! 

First, what is early adulthood? Lisa Fiore, author of Lifesmart, identifies it as a time between ages 18 and 25. Early adulthood, or Emerging Adulthood is a term used to identify the transition into adulthood. During this time, young adults engage in exploration and experimentation as they attempt to navigate their life path. Thinking back to college, the time of early adulthood was very exciting, but there were some dangers and negative situations. Hazing is one of these dangers. She notes on page 208, “Most people have heard about accidents and even deaths of young men and women who have been put through having, the initiation its that precedes full acceptance uno fraternity and sorority membership.” Even though colleges take hazing very seriously, it continues to be a problem that affects young people during a vulnerable time in their lives. 

Next, early adulthood can be marked by changes in physical development. On page 210 of Lifesmart, she mentions, “Early adulthood is the life period during which physical changes slow down after the dramatic changes that occur in adolescence” (Fiore 210). As the body makes these physical changes, something else become crystal clear - the effects of lifestyle on our health. Diet and nutrition continue to be increasingly important during adulthood. At this time, some people may begin to notice the link between heart disease and cholesterol. “Experts argue that our current society has become “obesogenic,” meaning that we live in an environment that promotes increased food intake, unhealthy foods, and a sedentary lifestyle” (Fiore 211). I see this in my own circle of friends, and it frustrates me. Most of my friends gave up sports they played in the past. When I started playing hockey in 2011, I struggled to find other people my age who were willing to play. In their defense, Fiore notes that one challenge is finding time for physical fitness. 

As we mature and enter early adulthood, there are also cognitive changes and developments. Piaget argued that young adults generally possess more knowledge than adolescents, especially in specific areas of interest” (Fiore 215). This may explain why students enter college during early adulthood. As interests flourish, young adults have the ability to understand and retain knowledge at higher levels. 

Though present at all levels of development, there are changes to gender, sexuality, and social development during early adulthood. Fiore notes, “As men and women enter early adulthood, confusion about gender roles may compound confusion about their identity. Images in the media and among celebrities present ideas about what is desirable for each sex and their behavior in society” (Fiore 216). Images on television can be confusion for someone undergoing physical or mental changes. 

Are there social developments during early adulthood? Of course! Individuation refers to how we develop a separate and special personality, derived less and less from our parents and teachers and more from our own behavior” (218). I enjoy noticing this when I meet with my violin students and their parents on a weekly basis. As the students grow, they tend to reflect many of their parent’s qualities by nature. When they approach adulthood, I see them wrestle with conflicting views and decisions. 

All of this information culminates with the point in life where I fit in. Fiore describes this as “Marriage and the family”. She notes, “Increasing numbers of people are choosing to live together without getting married, a practice called cohabitation” (Fiore 221). Even though I am married, I see a large majority of my friends living with their boyfriend or girlfriend without any plans to get married. There are many opinions on this, and I don’t want to start a battle over it! I believe that we can view the younger generation’s cohabitation as a way of expressing concern over commitment. I see many people who live together taking things slowly, trying to grasp the many challenges of being in a relationship. As I said in the opening, Early adulthood is a time of excitement, growth, and change. There is no one formula we can follow to live the perfect life!

4 comments:

  1. We all have things we would like to forget or just not come up again. I realized this semester, a small fact of life that actually bothered me. I realized that I will not be alive to see the next century. The 22nd century begins on January 1, 2101. I’m not sure why that hit me so hard but so did turning 30 then 35. So, I am not looking forward to the rest of the textbook. Are there social developments during early adulthood? I agree, there are many. You are always learning. I had kids and got married in that time of my life. I also put school on the backburner, which I do not recommend. But I learned a whole bunch of stuff about myself, not as an individual, but as a mother and a wife. I’m still learning and I am amazed how much I learn from the kids I work with. Learning never stops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many great points but I'd like to focus on the development of individuation. You said it best, " Are there social developments during early adulthood? Of course! Individuation refers to how we develop a separate and special personality, derived less and less from our parents and teachers and more from our own behavior” (218)." Giving lessons for students who have seen throughout their development gives you a very unique perspective. In a way it is like your own informal longitudinal study. It is amazing to see identity develop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I enjoy noticing this when I meet with my violin students and their parents on a weekly basis. As the students grow, they tend to reflect many of their parent’s qualities by nature. When they approach adulthood, I see them wrestle with conflicting views and decisions."

    I cannot help but think of the expression, "the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree" after reading your comment. I feel we inherit our parent's qualities unintentionally. We have seen how they react and feel that is how we should as well. As I got older I definitely found myself wrestling with views that conflicted my moms. I used to coach a little league hockey team and understand what it is like to see your students grow. Talking with parents about progress or concerns I was able to detect how the kid acted in accordance with his parents. These habits start at a young age because it is what we are exposed to. By the time adulthood comes we already have a structured outline of how we view the world. I know most of my views I had in my early 20's have been changed and I owe that to creating a life based around my choices that are influenced by my experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like what you have to say about marriage. There truly is no one way to to find a perfect life. It could also be related to what we learn from our parents, people who come from parents who were married could also prompt them to get married. But with changes in time comes a change in ideals, and today it seems less important to get married.

    ReplyDelete